Tuesday 16 June 2020

Nintendo Switch Game Review: Xenoblade Chronicles 2


Xenoblade Chronicles 2

After playing this game for 175 hours (and not even finishing the entire side quests haha), I beat it about a year ago? Haha I know that was a long time ago for me to actually create this post now but whatev. It's a beautiful game, obviously not without flaws, but still amazing and satisfying.

Here are some of my thoughts about this role-playing game:

1) The combat system was a bit confusing for me at first, to the fact that I basically played the first one third of the game without knowing most of the battle system (I mean this was my first JRPG, so maybe cut me some slack), but as I progressed through the story, I managed to comprehend everything and from then on, the battles ran smoothly for me. The driver arts, chain attacks, driver combos, element orbs, there are lots to take into account, but they're all parts of the learning process. Once I knew all the battle system, the game got even more interesting and fun! Plus, I got to be technical and created strategies to defeat my enemies.

2) Notwithstanding the fact that Switch is not as powerful as other game consoles, the graphics and designs of XC2 are really breathtaking, and since this is an open world game, you are able to explore various areas. I especially love Gormott and Leftherian Archipelago. I think each time I was tired of fighting, especially in areas which I wasn't fond of, I'd go back to Gormott and spent 15 minutes just enjoying the beauty of the area (and accidentally got killed by Level 81 Territorial Rotbart while at it). Anyway, kudos to the game designer!

3) The OSTs of XC2 are aurally fantastic. Each major area (or gamewise, known as titan) has its own theme that fits perfectly with the scenery, quests, and overall feelings of it. Listen to "Gormott (Day)" theme and tell me it doesn't evoke a spirit or adventuring into the unknown, which nails perfectly with the area? Also, "Counterattack" OST is LIT!!! I really love "The Tomorrow with You" OST. This plays almost at the end of the game and really it tugged my fragile heart. Seriously, Yasunori Mitsuda really packed a punch in his music for the game. Talking about audio, not a lot of games use British English accents as the characters' voices, so it is a pleasant surprise indeed. I know some people don't really like the voices of certain characters in this game, but I personally think they are charming, although yes, I do agree some characters (well, mostly Rex haha) need more emotions especially for some pivotal scenes.

4) The side quests for me are okay. Some side quests are fun, some are just meh... but well I did most of them hahaha just to pass time when I didn't feel like doing the main story. I think having more variations of the side quests would be great. There are also quests that you have to do to increase your level and go to the next chapter (hey, what's new?), so watch out for that. This include the Mercenary system in the game. The Heart-to-Heart scenes are a pleasant touch to the game as it improves the bond between the characters, thus improving their stats, but also for their fascinating and sometimes humorous short scenes.

5) The main story itself is incredible. Well, it might be a typical JRPG fare, but honestly, for me, it was a good story. The last part is especially emotional. I wish it could be a film haha. When the game ended and Monolith Soft logo appeared, I damn near cried, but I managed to hold my tears. Frankly, I wish I could go erase my memory of the game and go through it again. That's all I want to say.

6) The characters of the story are lovable and endearing. I found myself rooting for all of the characters, especially Rex and Pyra, though I am bias towards Mythra... and I also finally understand the meaning of "waifu" hahaha. Side characters also add to the charm of the story. Poppi the artificial Blade and its master slash creator, the nopon Tora are really funny. Nia was not my favourite character at first, but she kinda grew on me.

Some things that I think could be improved upon are the map because it is as confusing as hell! There were moments when I couldn't find some places for quite a long time and that frustrated me. Besides that, in the story, spoiler ahead, Mythra has this Foresight power, which was touched upon in the story. I wished it could be implemented in the game itself, but probably the battle system is a bit too much already I guess? Oh perhaps, next time, when teaching the battle system, more clarity should be provided hahaha.

Anyway, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is indeed an impressive piece of JRPG. Please let yourself be immersed in the beauty of this game. You'll end up wishing it is longer, even when it is already quite long. It is a world you want to live through again.

0 hecks: