Wednesday 1 February 2012

The Early Exposure


Now, now… how should I say this? It seems in Terengganu, English teachers are really looked up by the community, which was what the principal of Sekolah Sains Sultan Mahmud [SESMA], Pn. Meriam said to me. Unlike the states in the West Coast or Sabah and Sarawak, the public usages of English amongst the east coast communities, especially in Kelantan and Terengganu, are quite rare. English is almost exclusively used in the schools or tourism-related areas. Some students, even those in higher secondary forms, are still grappling to form simple sentences. In other aspect, the Terengganuese accent still dominates the speech, not just in English, but in Malay too. Perhaps, the major inhibitor behind the lack of English speakers in Terengganu is that most people still think that a person who converse in English is actually showing off his language ability. Students just shy away from using the language.
The principal further said that Terengganu needs more English teachers than most of the other states. If you’re a TESL graduate, then there is a big chance that you’ll be able to teach your subject here. English teachers in Terengganu have a large responsibility in producing students who are capable in using English. I can feel that ever since my fellow friend from IPG KB, and I met Pn. Meriam to tell her about our Field Experience [FE] that is to be done there. She really took our FE very seriously; you might think that we are actually there for our practicum. She asked us to create a timetable for our observations with the mentors, the discussions with our mentors and her too, and also to converse in English with the students. So, this is kind of scary. Oh yeah, Pn. Meriam did ask to have our reports too, so that she could try to make some positive changes or improvements on the areas of SESMA’s English teaching that require them.
Anyway, her high expectation towards us is understandable. The tasks of a teacher, any teacher, are big. I think this early exposure is beneficial and I’m looking forward to my two weeks in SESMA. Besides, what’s the use of me being a TESL student if I don’t use my English?

0 hecks: