Thursday 5 April 2012

WTF Did You Say?!

So, this happened:

Setting: Majlis Amanat Dekan, INTEC Grand Hall

The conversation [this may not be accurate…]

The Dean: Jadi kita akan [so not paying attention here] perkampungan Orang Asli di Hulu Langat sebagai kampung angkat Fakulti Pendidikan.

Person A: Kenapa Hulu Langat? Kenapa tak KL ke… [and few more places… hey, since when KL has an Orang Asli settlement for heaven’s sake?!].

Person B: Kenapa tak jauh lagi… Sabah ke?

That basically shocked my friends and I. I mean, Sabah? Did you guys go through the subject known as Local Studies and Geography when you were in schools? Did you guys know that Orang Asli is a different ethnic group altogether? Did you know that there’s no Orang Asli in Sabah?

Practically and obviously, my Sabahan [and Sarawakian] friends were [or are still…] pretty angry with these people for their mindless talk. I don’t even think they actually realise that Sabah has lots and lots of ethnics, and that Sabah is a pretty developed state. By the way, Sabahans are not Orang Asli, instead, they are Sabahan Natives.

I am not sure if people still ask whether Sabahans or Sarawakians live on tree... Guess what peeps? They don’t! So, maybe I should say something: both regions of Malaysia are not fully integrated with one another. Education needs to do something on this…

[Yeah, I’m not a Sabahan… but when you lived there for 2½ years, there’d be that Sabahan spirit growing inside… heheh]

2 hecks:

Unknown said...

That's one classic example of educated yet narrow-minded people.

P/s: I like that Sabahan spirit :D Anyway, we always escaped from that event, you know, haha..

Afiq said...

Hahah~ Yeah, I mean you're going to be a teacher, why don't you try to make yourself better and understand our demographics?

P/s: I think it's because we're kinda new, so you know, haha... that rebellious side haven't emerged yet... hahah~ And yeah, Sabahan Spirit~! Hahah~! >.<