Saturday 26 November 2011

70 and Above

So, you see... my parents are over 70 years old. They've been through a lot, and I can't help but to think when I look at other people's parents, the way they eat, the way they walk, the way they speak... they are not young anymore. Their health is deteriorating. It is not something that you can hide or run from. Eventually, your body will succumb to health issues.

My mom and dad... they are not like the others. Sure, they experience fatigue and minor or mild sickness, but they are still pretty much alright. My mom still cooks, my dad still spends his mornings selling vegetables with his  ye trusty olde' bike [that bike sounds like a motorboat rather than a motorcycle...], and you couldn't stop them from doing anything... old folks, they'll get restless if they can't do anything. In one way, I'm grateful to see them still active and err... nags at me at times...

I'm left thinking, what'll happen in 10, 20 years time? They've been with me for so long. Sometimes [or perhaps lots of times] I didn't really follow the stuff they've said, but that does not mean I don't love them. Living away from them in KK does bring lots of realisations about how underrated my feelings are towards my family. Perhaps, lots of us think we really love them, but do we really show that we love them?

I don't know what'll happen in 10, 20 years time... but now is the time that counts [though I have the hunch I'll still never follow everything they may say... err... sorry mom and dad...]

4 hecks:

Ibrahim Ismail said...

They're getting older. Glad that 6 months are spent to be with them. I fear of losing them.

Ps. Am I too old, or the font is too small for me? Mind considering makin it bigger? *please please I'm a big fan of yours!*

Afiq said...

Me too, but yeah, better to spend time with them while they have time.
^^

Hahah~ Sorry. I don't have any standardisations on my blog posts.
>.<
There you are. Big enough I hope? Just kidding...

Barbara said...

My parents are only 45, and I too start worrying of every single thing.

When you grow up, you just see a different perspective. My heart shrinks whenever I see the tiredness on my dad's face. How I wish I'm already out from training and support them.

I slowly see the responsibility and burden as the bread winner in the house.

I feel you in this post.

Afiq said...

Yeah. I think when we start to work, it is our responsibility to take care of them.